Nanoscience - Unit Summary
16 lessons, 1 hour each
swipe for more
Lesson 5 – Properties of bulk metal
In these lessons students will investigate:
- A range of uses and applications for Gold Nano particles.
- Why Gold Nano particles look red rather than gold in colour.
- The properties of Nitinol alloy.
- The types of questions undertaken by a Nano scientist in their research.
- Gold Nano particles have a wide range of applications in the field of Nanotechnology.
- The area of Nanoscience offers a wide range of career possibilities.
- Scientists are passionate about the research they undertake.
Learning SequenceShow all resources
Review the students understanding of the key points in lesson 4.
Reflection – Students recall the types of applications that Nano Gold has across various fields and post their ideas in Padlet. Resources
Discussion – Students are divided in to breakout groups to investigate and critique the posts. Resources
Investigation – Teacher introduces the properties of Nitinol using a Predict, Observe, Explain. Resources
Click icon to open link in new window / tab
Reflection – Students view the YouTube TED video on shape memory alloys and brainstorm ideas around its application to everyday situations, e.g. car panels. Resources
Collaboration – Students divide into breakout groups and work on developing questions for the guest speaker before they are introduced to the class to discuss their research.
Students work on developing a media file of applications of Nanoscience encountered in reports of local media items. Media file is shared on NVSES network.