Nanoscience - Unit Summary
16 lessons, 1 hour each
swipe for more
Lesson 7 – Carbon Nanotubes - continued
In these lessons students will investigate:
- The properties and structure of Carbon Nanotubes.
- The applications of Carbon Nanotubes.
- The factors that currently limit the size of production.
- Carbon Nanotubes can be used to produce very strong and useful structures.
- A big technical challenge is the manufacture of longer Nanotubes.
- They are cheap and have the potential to replace many of the traditional construction materials.
Learning SequenceShow all resources
Review the students understanding of the key points in lesson 6.
Investigation – Students view YouTube - Nova: Carbon Nanotubes and YouTube – Nano Series 4/5 Where are nanotubes used? Resources
Discussion – Teacher discusses the key ideas presented in the video clips and promotes a general discussion about the ideas raised. Q – What applications excite you the most? Resources
Collaboration – Students divide into breakout groups to discuss the questions raised and are set the task of presenting 3-5 narrated PowerPoint slides focusing on the potential applications of this new technology. An example of a narrated PowerPoint is shown to the class. Resources
Discussion – Students are provided with the details of how the media file presentations will be conducted and presented along with the narrated PowerPoint presentations.
Collaboration – Students work on media file activities as needed and teachers review progress.
Students work on developing a media file of applications of Nanoscience encountered in reports of local media items in readiness for next week. Media file is shared on NVSES network.