Nanoscience - Unit Summary
16 lessons, 1 hour each
swipe for more
Lesson 1 – Exploring Microscopes
In these lessons students will:
- Be introduced to the big ideas in the Nanoscience unit.
- Get to know the WebEx environment and communication tools.
- Become familiar with the assessment tasks and due dates for the unit.
- General welcome and introduction to the NVSES learning environment.
- Build a concept of the relative scale of a nanometre, nm.
- Explore the notion of the “Nano” and the differences between Nanoscience and Nanotechnology.
- Key historical events in the development of Nanoscience.
Learning SequenceShow all resources
Welcome students and teachers introduce themselves and ensure that student cameras and microphones are operational. Encourage several students to introduce themselves to each other.
Investigation – Students view key sections of this video Cary Huang – Htwins.net to grasp the scale of the Universe and the YouTube - Powers of Ten clip to compare the scale of the Nano world. Resources
Investigation – PowerPoint 1.1 Understanding the Nano scale.pptx An introduction to Nano scale. Use green screen to imbed teacher in the animations. Resources
Discussion – PowerPoint 1.2 Nanoscience vs Nanotechnology.pptx. An introduction to the difference between Nanoscience and Nanotechnology including Nano history. Resources
Reflection – Students commence the work sheet 1.1 using the PowerPoint 1.2 and use the worksheet 1.2 to follow up and check the activities results Resources